So I sat down and spun up the silk Roberta gave me. It was only 1 oz. but I took my time and tried to do it right. Especially since I decided to be a "big" girl and use the wheel, not the drop. There are a few places the twist is not a tight as it should be, the few thin spots, but all in all - not a bad job. I debated whether to 2 ply or chain ply (Navajo ply is not PC mind you) it. I decided to chain ply from the bobbin.
I should have put it in a ball first.
So there I was, DVD in the machine and I'm happily plying away when, snap! my thread breaks. I carefully stop the wheel, lay the chain out over the hooks so I can come back and pick up where I left off, and looked at my bobbin. I can't find the end. I know what color to look for (it was in the reds) but I can't find it. I remembered someone told me how using scotch tape can "lift" the end of the silk. It didn't work. I have carefully followed many threads around and around but I don't know it I'm going in the right direction.
And still no end in sight.
Next step - just break it somewhere and try to wind it into a ball. And it was looking so pretty too.
Happy New Year - I'm going to go play with my loom for a while.